While clutch and transmission configurations differ depending on your truck model and how you use it, eventually, they all wear and break down. These critical components require appropriate maintenance and attention from you to guarantee long-term performance. Many individuals are unaware that replacing a transmission might be more expensive than replacing an engine. At Foothills Group, our team will work with you to determine the best plan of action for your clutch and transmission service plan.
Signs that your transmission needs service
Correctly diagnosing and repairing transmission issues requires experience and the right tools. Here are some common signs that you may notice which could indicate clutch or transmission issues:
- A sense of grinding or rattling when shifting gears - Usually, your transmission will shift effortlessly from one speed to the next. As your truck shifts gears, you shouldn't notice any grinding, slippage, or shaking.
- When in gear, the truck is slow to react - Is your truck responsive right away when you put it in drive or reverse, or does it take a moment to “think”? If so, it might be an indication that there is a problem with your transmission fluid.
- Makes noises in neutral: whining, buzzing, or clunking - You may have transmission issues if you suddenly hear a whining, buzzing, or clunking sound beneath your truck that you've never heard before.
- Your truck smells hot as if it’s burning - A burning odour coming from your truck is never a good sign. Overheated fluid is one of the most prevalent reasons for a burning transmission odour.
- Sliding gears - Is your truck slipping out of gear or losing traction when you need it the most? If this is the case, there is a severe safety issue.
Whether your transmission needs an adjustment, repair, or total rebuild, it's critical to take your truck to a shop that you can trust. At Foothills Group, we offer both manual and automatic truck transmission repair, installation and maintenance for a range of heavy-duty trucks and fleet vehicles. Our team is well trusted and are expert diesel transmission repair specialists.